Making a Dreamcatcher -
Please note that this is just one of many ways to make dreamcatchers.
4 yd. Suede lacing
1/8 inch 3 ids Imitation sinew (waxed nylon string)
1 Small Concho
12 Pony Beads
16 Pony Beads
You will also need scissors, glue, a clothes pin.
If you cannot obtain the supplies, try making one using a small green branch from a tree about 1 cm in diameter and 1 meter long. Just bind the ends of the branch together and then make the web in the same way.
1. Cut 8 ft. of the suede lacing. Glue one end of the lacing to the ring. Wrap the suede lacing around the ring until you reach the starting point again. Be careful not to twist the lacing. Glue the end of the lacing to the ring. Hold it in place with a clothespin until the glue dries.
2. To make the web, tie one end of the imitation sinew to the ring. Make nine half hitch knots around the ring spacing them about 1-1/2" apart. Make the last hitch a little closer to the first knot as this prevents a large gap from forming. Keep the thread pulled snug between the knots.
3. Begin the next row of the web in the middle of the thread that you have already woven on row 1. Continue weaving in the same way until you have a small hole left in the center. Tie a double knot in the cord, add a tiny drop of glue to the knot and cut off remaining thread when dry.
4. To make the loop to hang your Dream Catcher, use a 12" piece of suede lacing. Fold it in half and tie a knot in the open end. At the top of the ring, attach the lacing by slipping the loop end through the ring and then around the ring and over the knot. Pull the lacing tight to secure it in place.
5. To make the hanging sections, cut three 8" pieces of suede Tie two 8" pieces of suede lacing about one third of the way up each side of the ring using a double knot. Slip 3 colored pony beads onto each piece of lacing and secure with a knot.
6. Using the last 8" piece of lacing to attach small concho to top middle of the ring. Slip three pony beads onto each piece of lacing.
7. Finally, push two feathers up inside the beads on each piece of lacing except the one hanging from the concho. Glue the feathers if they are loose. The last 4 feathers are attached 2 each side of the concho.
To make larger sizes: 12 inch rings needs approx. 7 yd. of 1/8 suede lacing to bind it 9 inch ring - 6 yd. 6 inch ring - 4 yd. Remember that you will need extra suede for the laces and hanger.